Ok, so, in my last post
I told you guys I'm more of a propmaker than an actual woodworker, so I thought I'd share the project that got me into this sawdust making mess in the first place. I know it's a bit OOT, but bear with me.
See, I usually work with clay and resin. Even paper and cardboard, I'm all over that jazz. But one day I had to make I sword I wouldn't replicate and that had to be durable enough to survive a plane trip to another state, so I found myself a nice piece of MDF from an old cupboard and got to it.
It had to be MDF, cause it would get pretty thin at the tip and I didn't want it splitting or breaking. It had to be something soft so I coud work with a sander, cause I still don't know how to work a hand plain (I'm a loser) and it would help me a lot not to have to deal with the wood grain during the finishing process.
So I traced it and cut it with my grandps old jigsaw. It was harder than I thought (maybe that's actually HDF?) and sanding took quite sometime, but eventually I worked my way up the grits and ended up with a smooth enough surface for primming.
I made the cross guard out of heat formed PVC pipes, and the pommel out of epoxy clay.
I then added maybe a dozen coats of spray primer, sanding everything smooth each time. The thing about making convincing metal is that the surface has to be VERY smooth before the chrome paint is applied.
I then applied a few coats of spray
paint, (still sanding it between coats) and finished it.
And here's a picture of my beautiful wife posing with the finished product.
It ended up quite nice, and it's still holding up pretty well over a year later, but I'll probably revamp it soon.
Anyways, thank you for suffering through this post with me!