Giving stuff away..

How many of you make stuff and eventually give it away..
Have People say to me "I wish that I could do that." I respond with "Did someone tell you that you couldn't."

Comments

• PaulseanPaulsean Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭✭
    I do sell stuff that I make but seem like I give away way more stuff than I keep..
    Have People say to me "I wish that I could do that." I respond with "Did someone tell you that you couldn't."
  • buddystacybuddystacy Posts: 492 ✭✭✭
    Once a year I give a lot away (Christmas) but the cost for all of that is not even mostly on me. Donors make that a lot easier to do.

I used to give away pretty much everything I made. To the point that my wife got mad because I would give away things she wanted to keep. I tend to at least TRY to sell most things now.
    "I just make saw dust and give away whatever is left over"
  • frehleycometfrehleycomet Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭
    I build a lot of stuff for the house but the pens I make I give some away.
  • Bruce MillerBruce Miller Posts: 3,276 admin
    With 24 models built in the last two years I needed to start getting them out of the house or I would need to build myself a dog house to live in.
    So been starting the giving as friends help us with our move to a new to me house and shop.
    It's been great fun handing out something they didn't know was coming, as a thank you.

-- If someone tells you you have enough tools and don't need any more, stop talking to them, you don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

Check out my other projects http://woodworking.formeremortals.net/me-mo-community/#/profile/discussions/3005/Bruce Miller
  • Ted BergTed Berg Posts: 422 admin
    Over the last 4 years, I have made over a hundred things from chairs, bandsaw boxes, musical instruments, tables, etc. I gave all of it away except for a few personal things I made for me. I retired after 45 years of pretty hard power plant work and do not want a job of any sort. Taking money for projects might change an enjoyable retirement hobby into a task oriented job. I am fortunate to have enough income to buy my wood and materials, so I am happy to give friends and relatives anything they need or simply momentos they might enjoy. The act of building gives me mental and physical challenge and engagement which I strongly believe increases my chances for a longer and fuller life. I have lost friends that retired with too little to do, so I believe giving away stuff is actually a win win!
  • TimG45TimG45 Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    I just "donated" several projects to one of my nieces' daughters to raise money for her pom squad. Mostly stuff I made to sell, though some items were just goofing off. Prior to that, I gave a small jewelry box to each of my 8 sisters and to most of my nieces. I still have 8 nieces for whom I need to make & give boxes, but I am in no hurry. I look at any of my wood working purely as a hobby, and if I happen to make a couple of bucks to support my hobby, I'm good with that.
  • mitcs0kemitcs0ke Posts: 465 ✭✭✭
    I sell everything I make because most of it gets ordered custom made...I take a bunch of pallets and turn them into Christmas trees and donate all of them at christmas. The wife works with LGBT kids and last year I donated one of my writing desks to the local PFLAG to help them raise some money and it sold for $225. :o ...and I could never get more than $150 out of them...I donate a lot of scrap wood to the neighbors fire pits... >:)
    My goal in woodworking after making a lot of people happy with wood things...
    Is to built a 1700's Bonnet Top Highboy chest Victorian legs and all.....Just because
    I want to.