My New Old Cast Iron Table Saw

mitcs0kemitcs0ke Posts: 454 ✭✭✭
I bought this Cast Iron craftsman Table Saw Model 113.298240, 40 inch from a yard sale about a month ago.
I had been looking for a saw with with a belt drive motor for a long time.
I have the Newer Direct Drive Aluminum top version of this table saw.
Came with all the bells and whistles of the time. Even had a Extra Fancy miter gauge with built in clamp!!!
AND IT RUNS!!!lol....
Gave $75.00 for it...was a steal....Came With Original Manual..!!!!
I have been so busy of late, I had to store it away till I could work on it.
looked at it every day...just killed me that I had to leave it alone and not tear into it.
SO now I'm Caught up...look out saw here I come!!!!!

So here's the poor rusted critter on the work bench. The stand is on the floor by the door.
Wont be using the stand. Has the original Motor on it.

So Last Wednesday I tore into the saw....Poor Thing Never Knew what Hit It...
The trunnion, arbor, guides are all in great shape!!!

So Wife says "You Cant Work On It During Thanksgiving!!!!"
So My Reply was "Bah Humbug" and I wore my "GRUMPY" Shirt and Hat both days in Protest!!
So Here it is Setting in the Sun. The cast iron top is still soaking in oil waiting on final wire brush and wax
and the table extensions have new primer. New belt and pulleys, new bearings and grease.
And put new bearings and grease in the motor.

The thing squared up really nice. The Heeling of the trunnion to the miter slots went fine.
Thank goodness there were no problems there.
That Extra fancy Miter Gauge was a pain and the fence was easy.

So that's what I've been up to.

My goal in woodworking after making a lot of people happy with wood things...
Is to built a 1700's Bonnet Top Highboy chest Victorian legs and all.....Just because
I want to.

Comments

• Ted BergTed Berg Posts: 407 admin
    So I am curious about oil soaking in. Would this be a good idea even on a new saw say once a year? What kind of oil are you using? Tell me more about the cast iron restore steps please.
  • mitcs0kemitcs0ke Posts: 454 ✭✭✭
    @Ted Berg Hi Ted...with real heavy rust that wont come off with a powered wire
    brush, I usually put brake cleaner on it because it will dissolve the rust, but I didnt have any
    so I just used motor oil. After everything is removed I just use Minwax finishing wax on it.
    it makes the iron or any metal very slick and stops the rust.
    Is to built a 1700's Bonnet Top Highboy chest Victorian legs and all.....Just because
    I want to.
  • Dan McLeodDan McLeod Posts: 5,423 admin
    I do believe there is a special place in hell for people who let tools get into such bad shape. Good save.
  • buddystacybuddystacy Posts: 479 ✭✭✭
    Dad has one just like this. The fence aligns itself by putting pressure against a poly grommet at the far end. Be careful. When it comes off it is nearly impossible to find a replacement and the fence does not work at all without it. Otherwise, a VERY nice saw to use. I have put many, many hours on Dad's and it still runs like a champ.
    "I just make saw dust and give away whatever is left over"
  • mitcs0kemitcs0ke Posts: 454 ✭✭✭
    @buddystacy Hi Buddy how you been???.....It just so happens that I can make one of those at work out of Kevlar of all things...lol
    I want to.